Friday, April 24, 2009

Remembering Marika


As many of you who read this blog will know, we lost a very special person on April 23, 2009. Trustee Marika Townshend, who had served on the Board of Education in Saanich since 1999, was taken by cancer, but her spirit will carry on in all of us for years to come. Marika cared deeply about public education, and extended her Trustee work by serving in many other official capacities (Vancouver Island School Trustees Association, Vancouver Island Labour Relations Council, BC Public School Employers Association, and more). She served the community of North Saanich and the citizens of the entire Saanich School District with passion and commitment, including right up to our last Board meeting on April 8. Marika knew, was known by, loved, and was loved by innumerable people, and we will miss everything about her. Please feel free to post a comment here so that we can together remember this special person.

5 comments:

Global Nomad said...

My sincerest condolences for everyone who has been touched by the life and passing of Marika. It is very clear from everything that has been mentioned about her here and in the news that she was a very special and dedicated person. May her loved ones and all who mourn her death feel surrounded by strong shoulders, open arms and warm hearts in their time of grief.

Anonymous said...

I always admired Marika for her enthusiasm, passion and dedication to children and education.

Even in the midst of her illness, she had a bright smile, a huge laugh,seemingly boundless energy, and the capacity to truly revel in life.

She helped change my approach to some things, for the better, and I suspect I'm not alone in that. She really was a shining light in our community.... Thanks to her family for sharing her with us at all those long meetings and countless community functions; my deepest, deepest condolences go out to you during this time of mourning, along with my sincere hope that there may be SOME comfort in knowing you are surrounded by a loving community which Marika helped to build.

Anonymous said...

There is a saying that goes "We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief". Marika was one of those people that "believed" and worked accordingly all her life. I will miss her scientific intellect, her sense of family and community,her great compassion for others, and her strong determination to make a difference through public service. The earth spirits have now found a kindred soul with Marika, but she left us too soon. Good bye dear friend.

Anonymous said...

I was stunned and saddened to hear of Marika's passing.

She was an exceptional person who was taken from us far too soon.

She will be very sadly missed.

Unknown said...

It is with the most profound shock that I read of Marika's death. She had a huge role in my life; guided and protected me at various points, influenced me more than she knew. I always loved her no matter what and I send my love and condolences to those who will miss her very much.
S