Wednesday, October 28, 2009

October Newsletter - From Vision to H1N1 and More

Here we are at the end of October, with the first two months of school having been a blur of positive energy and hard work by so many in service to children and families. Sorry to be so long between posts, but I am pleased to provide you with access to my October newsletter (via this link). In the newsletter you will see an update on plans to clarify district innovations in support of our Board's declared vision of success for all learners. You will also find news on H1N1, our Olympic spirit and our class organization reporting. Please have a look and feel free to post comments here. The more dialogue the better.

4 comments:

Global Nomad said...

Dr. Elder, I have a question. Having read "The Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, I am left wondering how books like this, and your personal appreciation thereof, influence the way that school policies are implemented or interpreted? Are there organizations, researchers, etc... who are looking into how this can affect our schooling system, how we can improve it, and so forth?

Keven Elder said...

Thanks Global. Good questions, as always. I can certainly attest that the reading I do and the many things that I learn from interactions with people and research have a real influence on my work. That includes the work that I do in supporting the Board with policy and direction setting for the district. One recent example is the influence that Tony Wagner's "The Global Achievement Gap" has had on my thinking about the future of secondary education as a place of relevance within the 21st Century. To your second question, there have always been close ties between policy makers at the highest level (for us that means in the provincial government) and researchers worldwide. Those connections are often closer to home as well, an example being the BC School Superintendents Fall Conference November 19-20, 2009 in Victoria, where speakers include researchers/authors such as Valerie Hannon and Andy Hargreaves. So the short answer to your questions: yes and yes!

Global Nomad said...

Thank you, and that's good to know on both fronts.

Global Nomad said...

I hope we'll be reading how the conference was!
I hope you're finding some pockets of time for rest and relaxation in this extremely busy time of year, and I hope that an update and newsletter will be available soon.